It’s winter olympic time and to celebrate we’re making banana bread. Not just any banana bread. Gold medalist Lindsey Vonn’s banana bread.
She shared her banana bread story and the recipe on the Today show with one of my food network favorites, Giada De Laurentiis. Lindsey says that she was very nervous leading up to the olympics and baked a lot to relieve her stress. She modified a banana bread recipe so that she would have a healthy snack to share with her friends.
Lindsey Vonn’s (surprisingly baby friendly) Banana Bread Recipe
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-3 “big scoops” of applesauce-looks like about a cup in the video
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- dash of nutmeg and cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use your hands to gently squeeze the bananas while they are still in the skins.
2. Unpeel the bananas and put the flesh into a medium sized bowl. Add sugar and egg.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir well to combine. Add applesauce.
4. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
And, last but not least, here’s a video of her sharing the recipe for Youth Olympic Games…